From dream to reality !
The Spratt 103 is truly
– The simplest : 200 h of construction, and the use of an industrial or automotive engine
– The safest : no stall or spins, absorbs turbulences, pendulum centering stability, …
– The most economic : less than 4.000 $
(with injected 4 strokes engine, 5 years warranty !)
of all aircrafts !
– For the construction of the fuselage : no millings or specific turnings of parts, neither bendings of tubes; only straight stainless steel tubes, welded under neutral gas (T.I.G.).
Time needed for building the fuselage : approximately 100 hours (no special competence nor special tools needed).
– For the construction of the wings : no complicated jigs or flat tables. No dihedral or sweep angles to worry about. No cables or internal rods, no hinges, no flaps nor ailerons, no upper struts, no sewing of fabrics, no (or just a few) handling of dangerous and/or harmful products and materials.
Time needed for building the wings : approximately 100 hours (no special competence nor special tools needed).
– For the motorization used : direct industrial or automobile 4 stroke engine (Honda, 2 CV Citroen, ½ VW, …), no mixture of fuel, very few vibrations and noise (the exhaust muffler is integrated into the fuselage) and very reliable, with low maintenance needed.
– For piloting (“driving !”) : only a throttle and steering wheel. No pedals or other controls.
– Landing, taxiing and ground handling : with a low and rearward center of gravity, a wide and long wheel base, and the fuselage acting as a skid, associated with effective shock absorbers, large diameter wheels, safe placement of the placement of the pilot’s feet, a powerful front wheel brake, a rigid seat equipped with “4 points” safety belts, a head-rest, an electric starter, a propeller well protected from rocks and debris, as well as from bystanders, an overhead wing to avoid obstacles, a deformable fuselage in the event of accident, well triangulated to insure the safety of the pilot.
– In flight safety : all the exceptional advantages of the “Spratt” aerodynamical formula used (no stall nor spin, and the aerodynamic absorption of gust loads), maximum visibility in all directions due to the high wing and the pusher engine, good gliding ratio due to a low drag design, very few vibrations and noise, no icing carburettor in this engine configuration, great autonomy (6 hours) in spite of the small fuel quantity (25 liters tank, with directly visible fuel level), small maximum mass and low landing speed limiting eventual damage.
3) Most econonomic
due to its very short construction time and the low cost of the specific materials used :Fuselage : uses stainless steel tubes of standard size and quality, welded TIG. Other parts, such as the seat, wheels, fuel tank, baggage container,”Heim” bearing joints, and other accessories can be found in standard hardware distribution stores.
Wings : wingspars are made out of square aluminium tubes of ordinary dimensions and standard quality, extruded polystyrene ribs and specificaly designed composite (fiberglass/polyester) cover.
Engine : From 300 euros (2 CV Citroen) till 2.000 euros for a new Honda engine.
That means a final cost between 2.000 euros (prooved) and 4.000 euros, depending of the engine choice.
In summary :
Spratt 103 is a revolution in aviation : Simplifying the prooved but forgotten Spratt concept (two “free” wings) and with usual modern materials and industrial engine, designer Bernard Geffray manage to offer clear plans of a very attractive concept aimed for a really simple, safe and economic aviation.
Datas (comply US Part 103, English SSDR and German regulations) :
Span : 8 m Length : 4 m Height : 2 m